Accounting Policy and Controls Senior Consultant
About our client
Our client is one of the largest competitive energy and power generation companies in North America. They produce and sell electricity, capacity and ancillary services to wholesale and retail power markets in the United States from our fleet of power plants. Their generation fleet is principally located in the Northeast, Mid-Atlantic and Southwest regions of the United States and has significant fuel diversity including nuclear, natural gas, and coal with certain facilities capable of utilizing multiple fuel sources. Our client had approximately 15,975 MW (summer rating) of generating capacity and $10 billion of assets at September 30, 2017 and 2016 annual operating revenues of approximately $4 billion.
Reporting to the Accounting Policy and Controls Manager of our client and based in The Woodlands, Texas, the Accounting Policy and Controls Senior Consultant is a critical member of the accounting and finance organization in supporting the development and application of US GAAP accounting policies and maintaining internal controls.
The position will support significant projects such as new accounting standard implementations, operational and accounting improvement initiatives, and the evaluation and documentation of internal controls. As this position advises on the accounting implications of new business initiatives as well as evaluating the control environment of the Company, the role is an excellent opportunity to learn about a wide variety of business activities.
This role requires exceptional skills to understand the underlying economics and commercial rationale related to significant transactions and to concisely articulate and document the relevant accounting conclusions. A working knowledge of internal control frameworks and an ability to collaborate across the Company will facilitate working relationships at the business units to direct internal control procedures and coordinate process improvements. The ability to correctly account for a wide range of activity and proactively identify and resolve accounting issues is a critical success factor for the candidate.
The ideal candidate enjoys fostering teamwork, a collaborative approach with colleagues, and a strategic thinking environment which culminates in a “work hard and reap the rewards” culture of a Private Equity backed Independent Power Producer.
- Apply best in class practices to create and maintain accounting policies regarding the Company’s primary business activities and critical accounting estimates
- Actively remain informed of new and amended accounting standards issued by the FASB along with applicable interpretive guidance to assess the impact to the Company
- Support the integration of accounting standard implementation through process development and training
- Develop an understanding of specific complex transactions, research appropriate authoritative guidance, formulate accounting conclusions, and document within technical memos.
- Communicate the accounting impact of transactions to management and external auditors
- Identify financial risks associated with the Company’s business objectives and evaluate the required risk mitigation controls to improve internal control and governance processes
- Provide support on the creation or modification of policies, procedures and processes to ensure an appropriate level of internal control and compliance is maintained
- Provide support in the adequate design and execution of control processes by completing targeted annual reviews of accounting policies
- High integrity and direct communication style
- Demonstrated ability to interact well within a team environment and manage projects
- Strong financial accounting, analytical and planning abilities with attention to detail
- Proven ability to work independently and prioritize critical tasks
- Strong oral and written communication skills and ability to interact with various departments and managers
- Ability to multitask and to remain calm and patient within compressed timelines
- Licensed CPA
- Minimum 5 years of relevant accounting and internal controls experience
- Minimum 3 years of in-depth energy industry accounting experience; broad exposure to IPPs preferred
- Accounting or finance degree (or equivalent); graduate degree is a plus
- Public Accounting experience within a large firm with SEC and/or power industry clients is a plus
- In depth knowledge of accounting for financially and physically settled commodity transactions and corporate transactions (e.g., divestitures and acquisitions)
AXIA Partners is a professional services firm comprised of Big Four CPA’s with significant experience in public accounting, industry and consulting. We provide complete human capital solutions to our clients in the areas of Accounting, Finance, Risk Management, Internal Audit, Tax, IT and SOX Compliance.
Our business model provides a unique blend of service lines, combining professional and executive recruiting and contract consulting services in a manner that creates significant internal synergies in talent sourcing, client development and service delivery. We service small to large-cap Fortune 500 companies in a variety of industries including: energy trading, oil and gas, manufacturing, real estate, software and service.