The business analyst role is a key position in the Finance and Accounting Team. The role provides significant exposure to the business and to senior management. The business analyst will provide timely and accurate reporting of financial results which will assist management in making key business decisions. This is an exciting time to join the company and be part of a growing organization.
- Perform month-end closing activities, including preparation of various journal entries, variance analysis, audit schedules and distribution of cost center reports and financial statements
- Identifies, analyzes, verifies, interprets and processes financial and operating transactions and data.
- Maintains records, accounts and ledgers pertaining to various phases of company activity; and prepares related schedules, statements and reports to analyze the results of activity.
- Exchanges and interprets business information; and promotes effective and timely flow of required financial information.
- Participates in creating and recommending new policies, methods and procedures designed to improve accounting controls and efficiency.
- Prepare monthly financials statements, including analysis of results
- Works on special projects, as assigned.
- Prepare monthly and quarterly accruals and journal entries
- Prepare balance sheet reconciliations and have an understanding of account activity
- Ensure detailed compliance with internal controls and procedures
- Assist with the annual audit by preparing various schedules and responding to audit queries
- Prepare and/or review as necessary assigned schedules for internal reporting purposes.
- Conduct operational analysis including AFE’s, spend analysis, variance explanations, capital budgeting
- Assist with the annual budget and analyze and report monthly actuals compared to forecast
- Assist with various monthly reporting requirements as necessary
- Provides guidance on accounting matters such as implications of new accounting pronouncements or classification of transactions.
- Must be a self-starter, motivated, and can meet deadlines
- Upstream business knowledge, business acumen and an understanding of the Lower 48 upstream business processes
- Ability to think big picture, forward thinker and anticipate requests
- Proven analytical skills, attention to detail and high quality and accurate reporting
- Proficient in Excel – creating/modifying spreadsheets, data cleansing, pivot tables & formulas
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Strong accounting knowledge including IFRS
- Experience with Bolo system
- Proven teamwork ability
- Effective in a dynamic environment, adapting to and managing change in a positive and proactive manner
- Capable of establishing effective working relationships that promote teamwork and collaboration
- Strong communication skills are required to effectively receive and distribute information to other accounting department personnel, operational department personnel and various levels of management
- Bachelor Degree in Accounting required
- CPA required
- A minimum of five years in upstream oil and gas accounting
- Broad oil and gas experience